Thursday, August 19, 2010

E-SESSION: { DENNIS & CHRISTINE }


---
The first time we worked with Joey Boquiren was in 2005 or 2006 (we're not so sure anymore), but we've always been fascinated by this quiet, unassuming photographer with long hair in dreadlocks. We have since been a loyal follower of his blog. Had the chance to work with him again last summer (April 2010) and got to finally chat with him! Totally nice guy. I am sure couples would love to work with him!

The other night, I was surfing wedding blogs when I came across this really, really cool engagement session. I totally love the use of LP jackets and that old television set? Wicked! I was so immersed in the overall feel of the photos when upon closer inspection, it turned out to be the shoot of my August 7-couple, Dennis & Christine, ha ha! *smacks myself on the head*

In this post, we chatted with Christine, the bride, about this happy, happy shoot. :-)
---

---
Tell us about the concept of this shoot:
Let me just say I feel so weird being interviewed about the e-session. This was one of the most unplanned, random things we decided to do. We honestly didn't prepare anything for this shoot; it was Joey who brought all the props. Dennis and I came to the shoot without any concept; we just trusted our photographer.---

---
Tell us about the props you used for the shoot.
We had old recording discs, a vintage TV, a small leather bag, a couch, and a used tire that was lying on the ground. All, except the tire, came from the back of Joey's car. He said he just borrowed them from his friends since wala nga kaming ka-concept-concept.
---



---
What are the preparations you did for this shoot?
It was mostly me explaining to Dennis what would be happening since he doesn't have an idea what to expect and I didn't want him to get nervous. Then we did the usual - I had a trial makeup and we picked out clothes (we only had one set, our wardrobe was limited since all of our clothes were back in the States).
---






---
Highlight of the shoot:
I think it would have to be when we were shooting in the dry/grassy/rocky field. It seemed like one big playground with unlimited possible shots/poses/props.
---



---
Your favorite elements?
I love the vintage TV and the red couch. Smacked right in the middle of an empty field, they had a certain je ne sais qois. Alam mo yun, it's not something you see every day.---



---
Why was a this location chosen? Who discovered it?
Every time Joey would ask me where we wanted to shoot, I would always say, "Sir Joey, kahit sa damuhan lang tayo mag-picture-picture, okay na kami!" because I really couldn't think of a place to shoot. So off to Coastal Mall we went. Sa damuhan nga! Literally!
---

---
Tell us about your photographer. How did he make you feel comfortable?
Joey Boquiren is one creative person, not to mention [that] he really puts a great deal of effort in his shoots. We didn't even plan on having an e-session, but I was so taken with his work - no frills, no wow landscapes as backgrounds, no dramatic poses; his shots are just so heartfelt and light. That's what pushed me to do an e-session with him. I was so sure that even though we don't have a real "theme" in mind, our pictures would turn out to be nice. And they did!

We were almost instantly comfortable with Joey. After the first ten shots or so, we realized that he wasn't the type who would make us do uncomfortable poses. Parang naglalaro lang kami the whole time.

---



---
Favorite memory of this day?
It was Dennis telling me that he liked our photographer and our e-session (when we were on the way home after the shoot). It meant a lot to me, kasi he's a very shy person and I had to beg him to do an e-session. Haha! It was an affirmation that I made the right decision in booking Joey for an e-session. :-)
---



---
Tips to other couples on how to prepare for an e-session:

You don't need to shoot in a really nice location to have awesome engagement pictures. One thing I learned from working with Joey is that you just need the right props and a slightly unconventional concept. Brainstorm with your photographer on what you want to do and what you will be wearing. If he or she has suggestions, be open-minded about it.

See more photos here.

---
Location Guide:

Uniwide Coastal Mall Grounds
Macapagal Avenue, Pasay City
---
Photography by

Joey Boquiren
Mobile: (+63)927.315.7715 | (+63)932.218.1158
Email: botchok_817@yahoo.com

---
We're featuring engagement session shoots as a prelude to the wedding photos to show our readers how couples prepare for their big day. We also feature the photographers involved as they share with us their thoughts on the shoot. If you want your own e-session to be featured on this blog, get in touch with us! :-)

No comments:

REAL WEDDING: { GWYN & ANNA MELISSA } ILOILO

-- Hello, everyone! It's been a while. ^_^ We're sharing with you a wedding we did in Iloilo City, the City of Love! Bride Melissa r...